My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Manic Monday

It isn't just another manic Monday. It is a nothing Monday. Only a few clients, not many phone calls, not much to do. If wishes were horses I would have a corral full of lovely tort ponies. Even a new work for hire brief would make me smile.

I knew it would be slow when we opened the new office. I did not know how difficult it would be to be idle for hours each day. I have one closing scheduled, work all done. Everything else is current.

In 1989 I went to work for an aging lawyer. I was 29, he was 55. I was fresh and eager, he was bored and brillant. He had just recovered his license and I had just finished school. Every file we had would fit in a vertical stacker.

One dog case car wreck, one will, two divorces, one DUI, one case of hunting deer with a jacklight. They all seemed hugely interesting and vital to me. When I suggested doing discovery in the divorce cases, the boss was all for it. He grinned, rocked back on his heels, stuck his thumbs in his belt loops and said "might be fun". When we interviewed the DUI and I asked 101 questions, (as taught in school), he was amused. In a low office, nothing is more amusing then watching a novice make enormous mountains out of little sandy ant hills.

I could go back to playing 101 questions with clients, they would probably love it, but once you know what the 5 important questions are, the only smile in the excess is if someone else is asking the questions and diligently noting the answers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home