My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Fly Jelly Revisited

I had dinner with youngest son last night. After eating we went to Books A Million. (We all use the bookstore as a club)

At some point son said "We all read your flyjelly post".

"Did they like it? Did they find it funny? No one left a comment" I said.

"Well, not as funny as you think it is" he answered.

By now I was laughing at the memory of flyjelly, after 23 odd years I still think it is hysterical. According to him my almost 30 year old favorite oldest son has never found it amusing. My spouse thinks it very bad. Of course, he thinks it went from funny to just plain wrong when I brought home a jar of green pepper jelly and left it out for speculation.

Clearly, I am warped. Now, these are the same children who played evil tricks on me they still find delightful. Just before the flyjelly episode oldest favorite son, D, rushed in screaming Mama Mama a man got R. This was just weeks after a man did get a child that lived a short distance from us. I will not torture you with the details of the next few minutes but suffice it to say that when I finally found R, crouched against the back foundation of the house giggling softly into his hands, I was very close to total collapse. Upon discovery both D and R fell over on the ground, laughing manically with tears of utter glee coursing down their smooth little faces.

Last summer one of them reminded the other of that incident and they both hooted like hyenas until they were red faced and shinny eyed and sliding out of their chairs onto the floor like hysterical school girls. I confess that I am not and was not and very likely never will be amused by that little chapter. But it certainly makes for a good story, especially when they tell it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

Don't tell R, but I like the fly jelly story! :) My parents told me crazy stories too -- I just figured that's what parents do, pass crazy stories on to their children, and the crazy stories get passed down generation to generation. I think at least part of the reason I'd like to have kids someday is so I can tell them crazy stories too.

R told me about the fly jelly, but he (conveniently) left out the fake kidnapping story. Go figure! :)

10:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL! Okay, I'm with Lesley here, I'm loving the fly jelly story... Can I borrow it sometime?

I use a cute one on my own daughter when she won't stop harping "What's for dinner, what's for dinner?!? I'm starving Mama!"
I tell her we're having Wind Pie, and Fart Pudding... she leaves me alone until I'm done... ;)

12:24 PM  
Blogger DarkMirror said...

I would be tickled if "flyjelly" was passed on in another family. Maybe one day if I live to be very old a child will tell me that her granny said she made flyjelly...

Also fun, and full of the YUCK factor are grubs, fried grasshopper and chocolate covered ants, yum to someone. I think you could probably rough cut potatoes in a grasshopper outline, dip them in cornmeal and fry them and really gross them out. Unfortunatly mine were grown when this occured to me.

Kids are so much fun.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home