My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Death By Food

My mother thinks, and yours might too, that all you have to do to
lose weight is not overeat. This was true for much of human
history. But the rules have changed and food is not what it once
was. Even modest amounts of modern food can make you fat
and sick.

Almost everything you eat contains one or all of the trinity of
death: MSG, High Fructose Corn Syrup and Hydrogenated Fats.
There are literally thousands of other pollutants in our food, but
these, with no real help from the myriad of other toxins, can and
will make you fat, give you high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes,
artery and heart disease and a whole host of other metabolic
diseases.

I thought for some time that if the label did not list MSG there
was no MSG in the product. Not so, there are over 60 names for
MSG, including such innocuous things as broth and natural
flavor. It is even injected into grocery store meat.

If you have metabolic disorder you are a victim of the modern
food industry.

The younger you are now, the more at risk you are. In 1960, the
year I was born, many foods were still made with sugar instead of
HFCS and MSG had not really gained a foothold in the food
industry. Of course HFs were all the rage in the 60's. Every
kitchen contained the large size can of Crisco, we thought it was
cleaner and safer then lard. If you are younger you have been
flooded with these chemicals since birth. Most commercial baby
formulas contain MSG and corn syrup. Even though we know
that MSG causes brain cell loss, even though we know corn syrup
contributes to obesity and diabetes, we still tolerate it in our baby
foods.

We are becoming progressively fatter, sicker and dumber. If you
eat the “safe”, “healthy”, “convenient” food in your grocery store
and virtually every restaurant you are playing roulette with your
future.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

So true! Once I found out that I have to avoid the HFCS, I started finding out that it is in everything. I think the worst example was the day I bought some hummus because I wanted to make myself a pita for dinner (hummus & vegetables on a whole wheat pita) and guess what was in the hummus? HFCS! I threw it out and never bought that brand again. That experience taught me to really read those labels carefully. It takes forever to get through the grocery store but it's worth it. And I do feel much much better now that I eat fewer processed foods and more whole foods.

And yes, my mother also believes that all you have to do to lose weight is eat less. She also believes that weight gain is some kind of character flaw but that is a whole other story altogether...

7:53 AM  
Blogger DarkMirror said...

Lesley,

HFCS... can you believe the things they put it in? Hummus? Do they think we want everything sweet? Maybe it has some secret mind control properties and Uncle pays them to add it to our food. (Is there a thingymybob for "laughing behind my hand"?)

1:54 PM  
Blogger DarkMirror said...

I made homemade Humus Sunday. It was easy! 2 cups cooked chickpeas, 1 cup Tahini, 3 cloves garlic, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup water, sprinkle of salt. You whirl it all to paste in a food processor. Totally YUM. You got me thinking about Humus, so I tried it. Brand new favorite. Thank you, thank you.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home