My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Monday, June 19, 2006

100 Things continued

14. Reading A History of God by Karen Armstrong made me face the fact that in my life I have not had one single original idea about God. This is despite the sad truth that I have used about 20% of my cognitive life so far in that pursuit.

15. I am often so caught up in the moment that I forget everything else.

16. I wish my extended family... well somethings don't bear telling.

17. I have chronic bowl disease that is unpleasant, inconvienant and sometimes painful. I live around it. Not many people know how bad it is because I don't talk about it much.

18. I have essential hypertension that I control with medication. Recently when my doc was f****** with my meds he took me off beta blockers. I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I also learned that the nice Zen state I can achieve for a few hours here and there may be more dependant on chemical beta blockers then my years of diligent practice.

19. My former mother in law is a reincarnated Buddhist Monk. She does not know this. She thinks she is a Methodist.

20. I watched my father die over a three year period. He was sent home with hospice and a prognosis of 8 weeks or so, maybe even 12 weeks. He never got any better. Every few months he would get noticably worse. For more then three years my mother was almost never away from his side. She slept on the floor next to him. She cooked for him anytime he would eat. At the end we were there. For days we slept in fitfull restless shifts and lived in a world focused on every single ragged breath he made. I was shocked at how long and hard he held on. Despite the years of knowing he was going to die, despite the often rocky nature of our relationship, despite watching with him and sometimes for him against death I was broken by grief when he died.

21. I did not learn to read until I was in the third grade. At the end of fourth grade I was testing at the 12th grade level in reading. My spelling is not great. My vocabulary is large. I sight read. Somewhere in the mix the spelling part of my brain did not completly kick in.

22. I think K.D. Lang is hot.

23. I loved Sally Mann's early work. Most of her new stuff is just so-so.

24. I painted nudes for about 2 years. I am always, unfailingly, surprised when first time viewers have odd reactions to them.

25. I love people who think about things. I don't care if they don't think what I think.

26. I dislike being around people who believe things strongly but can not tell you why or how.

27. My mothers people were all Quakers. Despite that my grandmother raised her children as Presbytarians. My fathers people were British Puritans on his mothers side and German Protestants on his fathers side.

28. I like crows. They make me happy.

29. When I see a bluebird I feel like I have seen through a crack into heaven.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

25. I love people who think about things. I don't care if they don't think what I think.

I agree! It seems like such a simple thing to say, but I'm continually surprised at how many people simply don't take the time to think about things. Thinkers are much more interesting to talk to too.

10:27 PM  
Blogger DarkMirror said...

Isn't it great to have a small group together for a picnic or lunch or whatever and it turns into everyone talking about something for hours.

Those are great times.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home