My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Durer - Self Portrait with fur coat, 1500



For over a month now I have been obsessed with this portrait. I have it on my work table in the studio and I look at it many times each day. Despite the fact that the painting is over 500 years old, and Durer himself only dust, I feel that he could come through the door any moment. Where the door is, and who actually walks through it is another question. It is as if the distance between us is an illusion and that he is telling me the key, if only I will hear.

It is easy to say that his facial hair and some features are like my spouses. Or that his eyes look somewhat like my own. Easy to say that the picture is painted in an iconic Christ like manner. But that is too simple. Durer painted more into this portrait then an image.

Click on the image above and maybe you will see what I see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home