My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Summer's Passing

Since I had to write about the extreme heat this summer, I will now balance out the moaning by saying that the weather is wonderful! Cool at night, nice at noon, still bearable at 3:00, sweet sweet sweet.

Now that fall is around the bend I have started my annual autumn program of getting my flora and fauna ready for winter. The dogs get a cup more food each evening and heartworm preventive (ivermectin) every two or three weeks instead of once a month. I also use a second broad spectrum wormer in mid October and after the second or third frost. The old dog gets additional bedding now and the younger dog gets deep bedded when the nights are in the 40's. This chickens will get one more good cleaning of the roost right after the first frost. The window in the coop will be closed when the nights get in the low 40's. The roof vents stay open all winter, no matter the cold. I add starchy vegtables to their diet, defrosted frozen peas and corn mostly. The pond fish get fed morning and evening until the water is too cold. In late September I switch to a special fall/spring food that won't rot in them if the temps drop. We take the floating plants out of the pond and trim back some of the overhanging branches in a mostly symbolic effort to reduce the amount of leaves that fall in it. Cat just gets wormed. He lives in the house, and eats as much as wants all year. Except for one more round of flea drops and a worming there is nothing to be done for him.

Houseplants are another matter. Some need to be repotted before they come in. In early October I will spend most of an otherwise good Saturday trying to decide where to keep them all during the winter. The bulk of the issue involves two huge pots of split leaf philos that take up entire blocks of whatever room they are in.

Fall also makes me happy because I can open doors and windows, turn off the AC, and pretend that I live in a simpler more primitive time. It takes me a while to get used to the absence of AC noise, especially at night, so I do keep the vintage style table fans on, at least until it actually gets cold. This year I would very much like to have a nice clothes line in the back yard. There is not much nicer than fresh line dried sheets.

I am not sorry to see summer going, even though it means that I have used up one of my alloted seasons. The heat was bad, I had some upheaval in my life mostly caused by mid life, my business partner left for a job, I only finished one painting (and it nothing special). I have been plagued by headaches and joint pain and too much sitting. Autumn always makes me happy in a pleasant bitter sweet sort of way. I have activities that I anticipate with great pleasure and glee for every season except summer. Summer I just endure. Goodby summer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ranting said...

One of my favorite things about fall is our Pumpkin Party that we have at your house! I love it, even if I am "too old" for carving pumpkins. I think I could never be too old for that!

Also, I am glad the heat is leaving us, it messes with my sugar too much. Maybe we can actually come for visits now!

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home