My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Monday, May 14, 2007

MONKS LUNCH


On Saturdays I make dish we call Monks Lunch. It is simple to
prepare, easy to eat and carries us through our most physical
working day. Monks Lunch is brown rice, lentils and lightly
sauteed vegetables, the vegetables vary but always include onions.
Usually the vegetables are some combination of onions, mushrooms
and red peppers, but they can be almost anything. The leftovers
can be eaten cold or reheated. I like to chop up tomato, mix it into
the leftovers and eat it with whole wheat Pita bread.

Monks Lunch is not a dish to write home about. But it meets the
bodies needs, it is wholesome, cheap and easy to make. On the
road of eating to live, instead of living to eat, it is a good stop.

Today I had leftover Monks Lunch for my office lunch. It was a
great relief to not have to hunt all over town for an acceptable
vegetarian lunch. I thanked G-d for the pleasure of simple food.
May we remember the hungry in our prayers and keep before us the
suffering of our fellow creatures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home