My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Evanescence

Rosh Hashanna is the day G-d decides who will live and who will die during the comming year. Each year it smacks me with my mortality. Far worse, it reminds me of the mortality of those I love. It reminds me that my determination to live is only part of the equation. Rather I will be here next year hinges not only on my taking care, but of others also, and G-d. My beta blockers and salt boycott will not save me from a drunk driver or lightening. Enough sleep is no protection against a gun or even cancer. Worse, my prayers, heartfelt and frequent, may not protect my others from those terrible things.

There is a story of a Rabbi who wrote on a slip of paper, I AM BUT DUST AND ASHES; on a second slip he wrote FOR ME THE WHOLE WORLD WAS CREATED. Each morning he placed one slip in his left pocket and the other in his right. On days he felt low, ineffective, unloved, sad he pulled out the slip that reminded him that "For me the whole world was created". On days he felt cocky, confident, invinciable he drew out the other slip and rememebered that "I am but dust and ashes".

Both are true. We are but dust in the wind, energy that goes from form to form, flesh that feeds fires and tulips. Yet, each of us is a unique individual who has never been here before, that will never appear again. Each of us is as precious as any of us. For us the world was made. For us the sky is blue, trees green, birdsong sweet.

On Rash Hashanna G-d weighs us, and decides...

Who by fire?
Who by water?
Who in the sunshine?
Who in the night time?
Who by high ordeal?
Who by common trial?
Who in your merry, merry month of May?
Who by very slow decay?
And who shall I say is calling?

Who in her lonely slip?
Who by barbiturate?
Who in these realms of love?
Who by something blunt?
Who by avalacnche?
Who by powder?
Who for his greed?
Who for his hunger?
And who shall I say is calling?

Who by brave ascent?
Who by accident?
Who in solitude?
Who in this mirror?
Who by his lady's command?
Who by his own hand?
Who in mortal chains?
Who in power?
And who shall I say is calling?

L. Cohen

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home