My Photo
Name:
Location: North Georgia

I am a visual artist who believes that living with intent is itself the highest art.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Why I'm a Vegetarian


I am frequently asked why I’m a Vegetarian. Like most vegetarians
I have several reasons.

First, and most important - I do not want my body to be a
walking cemetery.

Second, and also important - My health, as most of you
know I have struggled with weight for most of my life and
have had high blood pressure for over 15 years. I also have
interesting and unpleasant digestive issues together with
hypoglycemia and arthritis.

Third, and not quite so important to me, though it should be
- the environment and other humans. Intensive livestock
farming pollutes water tables and produces unthinkable
amounts of gas, contributing to global warming. Meat
production also reduces the available land available for grain
and vegetable production thus reducing the amount of food
available to humans.

After I explain this, the ones who don’t immediately change the
subject tell me they luvvvv meat and just could not give it up.

Poppycock, you don’t even miss it after a few days. After a
month or so it starts to smell funny to you and after three
months you are a little repulsed by it.

The next one is - I don’t much like vegetables, so I can’t be a
vegetarian.

I didn’t like them much either. I found out though that once
I had learned some good recipes (vegetarian curry is a
favorite) and had been off meat for a few weeks that I
craved some vegetables and that they all tasted much better.

Seldom does anyone ask me what the “side effects” of being a
vegetarian are. But here they are.

I am taking one half as much beta blocker as I was
previously and one fourth the amount of Ace inhibitor. I am
completely off all anti-inflammatory drugs.

I have lost weight without going hungry.

I feel much better.

My joints do not hurt.

The heat does not bother me as much.

I am no longer having chest pain.

I am no longer having “flutters”.

My skin looks better.

My unpleasant bowl disease is about 75% better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home